def: BOUILLABAISSE – a rich, spicy stew or soup made with various kinds of fish, originally from Provence.
Recipe also available on RecipeYum.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, white portion only, chopped and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, peeling and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fennel stalk, approx 15cm
- 1 fresh orange zest strip, approx 3x5cm
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm thick slices
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 2kg firm fish fillets (eg monkfish, halibut, cod) cut into 4cm chunks
- Boiling water as needed
- 2kg tender fish fillets (eg red snapper, ocean perch, rockfish) cut into 4cm chunks
- 500g mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 500g small crabs
- 1 tbsp minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 8 slices coarse country bread, toasted and rubbed with garlic
To make the soup, warm olive oil in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and leeks and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, fennel, orange zest, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add wine, water and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (approx 25 minutes).
Once the potatoes are tender, bring the mixture back to the boil and add the saffron. Lay firm-flesh fish on top and pour over just enough boiling water to cover. Boil for 7 minutes until fish is half cooked. Add tender-flesh fish, mussels and crabs. Discard any mussels that do not close when touched. Add more boiling water as needed to cover and boil for 3-4 minutes. Tender fish should separate easily with a fork and mussels open.
Using a spatula, transfer fish and shellfish to a warmed platter, placing tender fish to one side, firm fish to the other. Discard any mussels that have not opened. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to the same plate. Ladle a few tablespoons of broth over the seafood and sprinkle with parsley.
Place bread slice in the bottom of each serving bowl, top with seafood and potatoes and remaining broth.
By creating an Account on our service, you agree to subscribe to newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information we may send. However, you may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send.
You understand that your content (not including credit card information), may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. Credit card information is always encrypted during transfer over networks.