Jacqui Challinor, Head Chef at Nomad Restaurant, generously created this beautiful recipe to show case some of the best local food artisans, including Iggy’s Bread, Vanella Cheese Burrata and ALTO olive oil for our first VIVE Food Talk video featuring the story of Westerly and Robert, the minds behind ALTO Olive Oil, a New South Wales internationally awarded Olive Oil producer.
The recipe is simple to execute, but it is incredibly delicious and sure to impress your family and friends.
500g Fennel, thinly sliced
500ml ALTO chardonnay vinegar
500g caster sugar
60ml ALTO Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt flakes for seasoning
1. Trim the stalks off the fennel, pick and wash the fronds and set aside for garnish.
2. Thinly slice the bulb approximately 2mm thick, a mandolin is the best way to achieve this.
3. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and vinegar.
4. Gently bring to the heat and allow the sugar to dissolve.
5. Increase heat and reduce liquid to ¼ of its original volume then add sliced fennel.
6. Cook on high heat, stirring continuously to prevent the sugar from burning.
7. The fennel is ready once it appears glassy and you’ve got a sticky, jam-like consistency.
8. Remove fennel from saucepan and refrigerate to cool.
9. To serve, spread fennel jam onto a plate, top with burrata, drizzle the Alto olive oil over the fennel, season with sea salt and garnish with the fennel fronds.
Jacqui Challinor and Westerly from ALTO Olive Oil cooking up storm in Robert’s kitchen.
WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HOW YOU GO WITH THIS RECIPE. TAG US ON INSTAGRAM @VIVECOOKINGSCHOOL OR #VIVECOOKINGSCHOOL